Mercury Toxicity and Dental Amalgams

Amalgam fillings: the latest evidence

Although amalgam dental fillings have been in widespread use for around 150 years, this started to change in the mid-1980s, when evidence began to emerge that mercury vapor was being released from these fillings. There was not much supporting evidence at that time. As recently as 1997, the World Dental Federation (FDI), the American Dental Association (ADA), and the World Health Organization joint consensus statement on dental amalgam stated: “No controlled studies have been published demonstrating systemic adverse effects from amalgam restorations.”

However, recent advances in technology have allowed the mercury-Alzheimer’s theory to be tested directly on brain tissue samples from known sufferers of the disease. Two independent university laboratories have now shown that minute amounts of mercury can damage the membranes of growing brain cells.

New evidence unearthed by Dr Jack Levenson, the dentist who has led the fight against amalgam fillings in the UK, shows that dental fillings could be behind the burgeoning of many 20th century conditions.

It is generally accepted that when a disease such as influenza reaches 400 per 100,000, or 0.4 per cent of the population, it is then considered to be of epidemic proportions. Recent evidence estimates that about 3 per cent of the population suffers from mercury sensitivity/toxicity.

Current research also suggests that mercury vapor from fillings may be one of the predominant underlying causes of a broad spectrum of conditions:

  • gum disease
  • migraine and other headaches
  • poor memory
  • depression
  • anxiety
  • hormonal imbalances
  • mental lethargy
  • chronic fatigue
  • allergies such as eczema and asthma
  • sensitivity reactions to food and inhalants
  • rheumatism
  • arthritis
  • backache
  • kidney disease
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • multiple sclerosis and other neurological disorders

Other studies have shown that metal toxicity reduces the IQ levels in children by four points and can severely affect their verbal skills.

If you have amalgam fillings, it would be wise to have your heavy metal burden tested via a urine excretion collection test or hair analysis. Removing the metals from your mouth is a very important first step if your tests prove this to be a problem. The removal or replacement should be done by a reputable biological dentist well trained in proper removal and use of all protective measures. Once that is effectively completed, then initiate an oral or IV chelation detoxification protocol.

Close Menu